Sunday, December 18, 2011

CMC: The Nativity Scene

This is part of my Christmas Memory Challenge, a goal I set for myself to recall 25 things I love about Christmas. You can also check out Shannon's memories here.

I've mentioned my dad's nativity scene last year, but it bears repeating. The scene is nothing spectacular, it's not fancy, it's not even particularly nice looking. It's rough wood frame and glued on moss does make it a bit more authentic looking than some of the clean, plastic ones you see, but in my dad's house full of clutter you could easily miss it.

I never quite got the story straight - my dad either got it before going to Australia, when they were living in Australia, while they were backpacking back from Australia - but the important thing to remember is that my dad started to notice fewer and fewer pieces to the nativity scene every year. If you're doing a nativity scene correctly, you're supposed to add certain people on certain days. Jesus, for example, is supposed to be added after you return from midnight mass on Christmas Eve.

It's one thing to lose a wise man or a shepherd, but what point is there to a Nativity scene if you lose Jesus? Wanting to make sure this didn't happen, my dad took matters into his own hands... in the form of a hammer. Our baby Jesus is now nailed to the manager.

I have gotten so much mileage out of telling people that story, and I will never not find it funny.

No comments: