Tuesday, October 26, 2010

GBC Question #20

Remember these? While I'm working on my epic post about the joy that is southern Alberta, I figured I should get back to these and may be finish off the last ten of them. So, without further ado...

Question #20: A book you would recommend to an ignorant/racist/closed minded person.

While I can think of a few people in these categories who would be better off just being hit with a book, for the rest of them I'd recommend Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer. In this day and age of heightened mistrust of Muslims, this book is a fabulous reminder that fundamentalism is not confined to one religion.

Every religion has its skeletons hiding in the closest (or in Bountiful, BC) and what religion doesn't have a bloody past? But to paint everyone of that faith with the same brush does a huge disservice to furthering understanding between people of different backgrounds. Just because I think the Blackmores are dirty men with an insatiable thirst for power over 'their' women doesn't mean that Mormons as a whole are a bad people. It would be like basing your opinion on Baptists in general on the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church. (Speaking of which, it makes me sick that the hatred spread by the WBC is protected under Freedom of Speech. Doesn't the US constitution have something like the Canadian Criminal Code Section 319 to deal with people like this?)

No comments: