Monday, January 9, 2012

Pegging It Onto the To-Do List

I'm a week into my resolution to create weekly/monthly lists and so far? It's been awesome. Who knew that writing down what you need to do will help you do it? Oh, right. Everyone. Granted, last week's list was pretty skimpy because I didn't want to overwhelm myself and fail before I even got started, but I rocked it.

Obviously 'write a blog post' was not on my list. That's been corrected for this week.

An item on this week's to-do list which I really didn't expect is learn to play crib. It's a game that my mom taught me as a child but we only played it when we went camping so I'd forget from year to year. I think I've 'learned' to play crib (or cribbage) three or four times. Even over the summer it came up in conversation and I joked that I had retired from crib. Then I learned that Ed (this guy) needed people to play with.

Shortly before that post, Ed lost his wife. The building managers (BMs) have gone above and beyond the requirements of their position and regularly meet up with him for coffee, dinner or games of crib. For my part, I drop off treats whenever I bake and I anonymously sent him a postcard from Ireland. When I finally admitted to him at Christmas that the card was from me, he gave me and our BMs grief for not telling him. "Do you know how long I've stared at that card trying to figure it out? EVERY DAY!" But the big grin on his face was worth the fake anger.

Our BMs are leaving on holidays for two weeks on Saturday; Ed will be without his crib partners. Knowing that I have a soft spot for Ed (I went with them to visit him when he was in the hospital last March), one of the BMs asked if I played crib. Learning crib was on my to-do list before the conversation was even over.

I can't wait to cross it off the list!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Ummm...I love that you call your building managers BMs, but, uh, not such a pretty mental image.

And I love crib. Best game ever. Next time you're in town (or if we ever make it over there ever again) we should play...because by then Ed will have made you into an awesome cribbage player, right??

AndreaClaire said...

Ha Ha! Thanks to work, BMs are Business Managers for me. I forget sometimes that other people don't assume that :)

The Shannon-Andrea Crib-Off 2012. Let's make SACO happen!