Tuesday, August 24, 2010

GBC Question #3

Today's question is: a book that complete surprised you (bad/good).

Good: Harry Potter
I missed Harry Potter when it first came out. I vaguely remember a few conversations about it when it first came out, but I ran away to backpack around the non-English speaking part of Europe so I didn't pay much attention. I came back for University and found quite a few of my friends talking about it. I ran away to the non-English speaking part of Europe to live and returned to find everyone I knew talking about it and a movie had been made. I had to check out what the big fuss was about. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the books. I'm not a huge fanatic, but I do own the Philosopher's Stone in German. What? It's good practice.

Bad: The DaVinci Code
Where as Coming Down From Wa never engaged me, I actually really enjoyed the first 7/8ths of The DaVinci Code. The pacing was good, the writing was decent, and the plot (although based on fabricated documents) was interesting enough to keep my interest. Then something happened in the last few chapters and now I hate the book. I detest it with every fiber of my being.
Monty Python has more historical fact in it than the DaVinci Code.
(Picture, originally from Worth1000, found here)

Am I the only one who feels that way about this book? Well, me and Stephen Fry?

No comments: