Sunday, January 16, 2011

Best. Film. Ever.

Valentine's Day. Even when I'm apart of a couple, it's not really a day I look forward to because it always has such a big build up for a day which rarely has any personal connection. Hey honey, let's celebrate our love with every other couple in the the world while restaurants jack up their prices! But this year, I'm actually looking forward to Valentine's Day. Why? Because Cinecenta is showing Casablanca!!!!! (Yes, Casablanca deserves all those exclamation marks.)


Casablanca is my favourite movie. It's funny, it's romantic, it has Nazis, what's not to love? When I meet someone and find out they haven't seen Casablanca, I judge them a little bit. When I meet someone who has seen it and doesn't like it, well, I judge them a lot. How can you not like Casablanca? How? I automatically assume that there must be something wrong with them because there is. How can you not enjoy a movie with Humphrey Bogart (there was a man who could rock a fedora!) and Ingrid Bergman? It has what is apparently the most misquoted line ever in cinematic history ("Play it again, Sam") along with "round up the usual suspects", "here's looking at you, kid", and "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship". Plus, it has Nazis.

It's been ten years since I saw this film on the big screen. It was playing at Cinecenta the weekend before I moved to Germany so I gathered up a group of friends and made them watch it as my going-away party. The idea of watching it again on the big screen has gotten me really excited. (I may have squealed to myself... alone... in my apartment... and then clapped my hands like I'm five.) So, bring it Valentine's Day. I don't care if I have to go to the movie alone, it's going to be awesome. Take that, Elton John.


Also, if you haven't seen Casablanca and you plan on ever talking to me again... you might want to watch it... or make sure you're a very good liar... but I think you should just watch it. It has Nazis!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I guess I need to watch Casablanca then...but I do agree with you about Valentine's Day...overrated and why do I have to wait until February 14 to celebrate with my husband (I've pretty much always felt that way about the day...some years more than others) I have to admit I'm a bit excited this year though because J and I are planning to make cards (well, I'm planning and J will find out some rainy weekend in the next little while)

AndreaClaire said...

If you were in Victoria, I'd lend you my copy. As you're not, I think I just might rewatch it myself :) I hope you and J have fun making the cards.