Friday, January 28, 2011

Inspiration in Unlikely Places

Tomorrow I am facilitating part of a retreat for the Matoto Board. I thought I was prepared and ready last weekend but then I didn't sleep well on Sunday night. My mind drifted until I suddenly realised we had completely forgotten one of our objectives for the retreat when we reorganized our schedule for the day. Panic.

I was fairly confident I could work the forgotten segment into my section, and so after a quick exchange of emails to make sure we were all on the same page, I did just that. I was left with a problem. My original plan of how to present the information still kind of worked, but I need people's thought patterns to be more directed as they approached it. I wanted them to free flow ideas but within the boundaries I set for them. How could I do that without sounding like an elementary school teacher?

On Wednesday, I met up with Tigh* for coffee. The conversation, briefly, lit upon Plenty of Fish. Oh dating sites, with your never ending guided questions to help us all find possible soul mates using an algorithm which is as successful as going to a bar. Wait a minute, back up. Guided questions. On a dating site. Plenty of Fish...

And so my handout of "Portfolio of Fish" was born where we're going to 'speed date' with the portfolios. Trust me, it all makes sense in my head. Hopefully, it will all make sense tomorrow.

*Name has been changed to protect the innocent and because I already have someone on here I refer to as 'E' and this was the first name that came to me. It can be changed again for a one-time $20 fee.

No comments: