Tuesday, September 14, 2010

GBC Question #10

Question #10 really challenged my memory: the first novel you remember reading.

I racked my brain to try and answer this question and I've come up blank every time. I can tell you that the first book I read to myself was Go, Dog, Go! followed by Put Me in the Zoo. Shortly after that, my parents got me The Sneetches and Other Stories which I still love to read to this day.


I can tell you that the very first Baby-Sitters Club book I read was #4: Mary-Ann Saves the Day. My dad bought it at a garage sale. I wanted to name my daughter Mary-Ann for the longest time. The second one I read was #11: Kristy and the Snobs. I took it out of the library.


I can tell you that I learned how to spell 'mystery' after I spent a day trying to figure out what the my-stery in Brian and the Rooftop Mystery could be. My mom told me the word was 'mystery'; I didn't believe her. I still see that book cover in my mind's eye every time I write 'mystery'. I took the book out of the library because it had chapters.

I got Little House in the Big Woods for my eighth birthday. I pretty much read the entire series within a year and a half after that. I tried calling my mom 'Ma' as a result. She didn't take too kindly to that idea.


I think I read Emily of New Moon before Little House but I'm not totally sure. I do know that I read it before Anne of Green Gables. I like Emily better than Anne because she had dark hair like me.

Despite all those little tidbits from my early book reading memories, I honestly don't remember what was my first novel.

Does anyone remember what their first novel was?

No comments: