Friday, September 17, 2010

GBC Question #13

Question #13: Favourite childhood book.

It's not one book, it's four. It's an old box collection of my older brother's, which I wiggled away from him when he became too cool for such things, of the A. A Milne works When We Were Very Young, Winnie-the-Pooh, Now We Are Six, and The House at Pooh Corner. I used to love those books, and I'm known to randomly quote the opening lines of 'Buckingham Palace' because I like the rhythm of them (bonus points if you know what poem I'm talking about without googling it).


The books are really showing their age and I fear every time I pick one up that I will open it and all the pages will just come loose. Worse, the old paper will disintegrate into dust in my hands. I treat them with great care and as much as I want to share them children, I get antsy at the idea of anyone else touching them. That's why I have a newer all-in-one copy, so they can put their grubby little hands on that one.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

My mom's copies of When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six are floating around somewhere. She might still have them or one of my sisters might have grabbed them (I certainly didn't manage to snag them), but they were favourites at our house (and well loved and showing it). I think I might have to go seek out copies for J - she's a bit young yet, but in a few months she might be the perfect age!