Friday, September 10, 2010

GBC Question #6

Oh, right. Those questions for the Great Book Challenge. Question #6: A book that makes you cry.

Les Miserables - I read the book when I was 12. I had discovered the musical a few years earlier and decided I should read the book. I did the same for Phantom of the Opera, how hard could it be for Les Mis? I was in love with the book and I went through it quite fast given its size. My parents were throwing a party and knowing I only had about a quater of the book left, I excused myself when I felt I had done my daughterly duty and escaped to my room to continue reading. If memory serves me correctly, that was a little before 10 pm. Some time before 2 am when my mom checked on me before she went to bed, I started crying. I put the finished book down sortly after 3 am and my tears had reached full sobs. I sat in bed crying until I noticed the sky was getting light (it was summer so I'm going to say this would have been around 5 am)so I laid down and cried myself to sleep.


Is it really any surprise that this is the man who wrote a book called 'The Miserables'?

For weeks afterwards, I'd think about certain scenes in the book or sacrifices certain characters made and I would just start to bawl. At the dinner table, in the shower, writing notes off the board at school, I was an emotional wreck thanks to that book. I've wanted to reread it as an adult but I've shied away from it because I don't know if I really want to be randomly bursting into tears while I but sugar in my coffee...

No comments: